Travel in the San Francisco Bay Area is easy and accessible. The first option should always be public transportation when travelling in Oakland or San Francisco, as traffic and parking can be difficult during commute times and on the weekends.
Most buses in the Bay Area can accommodate bike racks in the front of the bus and are capable of transporting those with mobility issues/in a wheelchair. Check with the bus line before arriving.
The Palace Theater is located at 1445 23rd Avenue (between International Blvd. and 15th Avenue) in Oakland, California. General directions to the Palace Theater are here: https://goo.gl/maps/ta4ArDtA61G2
- AC Transit – The 1, 1R and 40 will take you 1 block from the theater. Click here for all directions.
- BART – The 12th Street BART Station takes you to your AC Transit transfer. http://www.bart.gov/stations/12th
- AC Transit Transbay Bus – The AC Transit NL Transbay stops at Thomas L. Berkeley Way/20th Street and Broadway. The Temporary Transbay Terminal in San Francisco is at Main & Folsom Streets (http://temporaryterminal.org/). Bus lines at the Temporary Transbay Terminal are: AC Transit Transbay bus, Golden Gate Transit, MUNI, SamTrans, WestCAT Lynx, and Greyhound. You can connect/transfer to the 1 or 1R at Thomas L. Berkeley Way/20th Street and Broadway in Oakland, CA. See directions above under AC Transit.
The San Francisco Main Library is centrally located in San Francisco’s historic Civic Center district. You can access the library via any Market Street bus, metro, or street car. The library is 1/2 block from the Civic Center BART/Metro station or 1/2 a block from a bus stop at Market and 8th Streets. Ask the station agent or operator if you have questions.
San Francisco’s main transportation lines (bus, LRV/Metro, streetcar and cable car) are operated by the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. If you have questions about these lines, please visit: https://www.sfmta.com/
Other transportation lines that have San Francisco destinations or transfer points are the San Francisco Bay Ferry (East and North Bay), Golden Gate Transit (North Bay/Marin), Westcat Lynx (Hercules), Sam Trans (Peninsula), Greyhound (out of town), and Amtrak (South Bay).
The Temporary Transbay Terminal also accommodates many transbay (via bridges) bus lines. Temporary Transbay Terminal: http://temporaryterminal.org/
- Car Rental – To book a rental car, visit the Oakland Visitors Bureau: http://book.visitoakland.org/6612_car-search.html
Cabs/Private Car Service
- Flywheel – App for cab pick-up in San Francisco
- Über – San Francisco and Oakland. Check site for other locations. (*Requires an account)
- Lyft – Private car service. (*Requires an account)
- Sidecar – Private car service. (*Requires an account)
- The Palace Theater has ample street parking. (Please keep valuables out of sight, and make sure your car is securely locked.)
The film festival will be in Oakland and San Francisco, California, and you can find reasonable hotel rates at both locations. Oakland is only 7 miles from San Francisco, and vice-versa. It’s a quick 15 BART ride, 25 minute ferry and 20 minute drive under, through and over the Bay Bridge.
Public transportation from downtown Oakland to the 1, 1R and 40 will put you within 1 block from the Palace Theater on 1445 23rd Avenue, Oakland, CA.
Rates vary at hotels. Here are some suggested hotels for your stay if you’re coming from out-of-town.